NUP Maria Christina I Mayor
8 May 2016
Iloilo campaign, generally peaceful
Camp Francisco U. Sumagaysay, Sr., STA. BARBARA, ILOILO, May 8 -- Iloilo Police Provincial Office classified the recently concluded campaign for the National and Local Elections as generally peaceful, despite being marred by incidents which are considered as isolated.
The campaign period officially ended at 12 midnight of May 7, 2016.
The Provincial Election Monitoring Action Centre (PEMAC) recorded 10 incidents which involved the candidates and/or their supporters which may be related to the elections.
These incidents include a heated argument in Janiuay, several alleged harassment incidents in Alimodian, threats and harassment in San Enrique, threats in San Miguel, shooting incidents in Bingawan, Oton and Balasan and alleged harassment in Dumangas.
Aside from the shooting incidents in Oton and Balasan which are still being validated, all the others have been classified as non-election related.
Meanwhile, the province of Iloilo has no declared election watchlist areas (EWAS) as classified by the COMELEC but PNP focuses on areas of interest in the province.
These areas of interest, with reports of tension and confrontations between the supporters include Oton, San Enrique, Alimodian, Concepcion, Estancia, San Dionisio and Bingawan.
IPPO is preparing for the biggest challenge yet of maintaining peace and order during election day and the days following the election.
Since the start of campaign, 142 candidates voluntarily taped their firearms in the presence of police officers while 13 turned their firearms over to the PNP for safekeeping.
IPPO hopes that the generally peaceful atmosphere will be carried over until the end of the election period, as promised by the 828 candidates who joined the covenant signing for peace in the whole province of Iloilo.#
Recent Press Releases
- IPPO Spokesperson commended by town of Tubungan
- 27 persons graduate from rehabilitation
- Zero incidents in Iloilo, expected during Undas 2017
- IPPO to run after criminal groups in the province
- IPPO lauded for Prevendido’s death
- IPPO personnel recognized during 116th PNP Service Anniversary
- Oplan Galugad in Sara nets wanted persons, traffic violators
- IPPO files cases against Maasin MPS NPA attackers
- IPPO warns operators and drivers against carnapping modus
- Road Safety Advisory on Opening of Classes