6 March 2015
The Iloilo Police Provincial Office traces its humble beginnings during the Liberation of Panay Island on January 1, 1946 when a military police command was established at the Lapuz Terminal in Iloilo City.
Its presence marked the start of the organization and training of the 3rd Philippine Constabulary (PC) companies composed of the 39th PC Company, 40th PC Company and 3rd PCR Special Company. Major Matias Linsangan served as the Provincial Provost Marshall during the period.
After five months, the provincial military police command was renamed as Iloilo Constabulary Command.
Major Enrique Y. Santiago was then appointed as the first Iloilo PC provincial commander with five officers and 16 enlisted personnel under his helm.
On the same year, the command transferred to its new home at General Luna St from the Lapuz Terminal.
The Iloilo Philippine Constabulary Provincial Command again found a new home at Fort San Pedro in Iloilo City in December 1969.
The command reverted to its old office at General Luna Street when the PC/Integrated National Police (INP) was regionalized in 1978 after becoming an integrated in 1975.
In 1979, however, it again moved to its new office at Camp Delgado, Iloilo City.
It was during the term of Col. Jesus Almaden as provincial director when the PC/INP provincial command transferred to Camp Francisco U. Sumagaysay Sr. at Brgy San Sebastian, Sta. Barbara, Iloilo in September 1987.
The command took in a new name on January 2, 1991 - as Iloilo Philippine National Police- following the signing into law of RA 6975 on December 13, 1990 calling for the creation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and reorganization of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).
Subsequently, all officers and non-officers of the former PC and INP in rank were absorbed into the PNP pursuant to R.A. 6975.
Iloilo PNP was again renamed as Iloilo Provincial Police Command by the Police Regional Command 6 headquarters on July 1, 1994 pursuant to General Order number 108 dated July 8, 1994.
Since the time of Major Enrique Y. Santiago until the present provincial director, Senior Superintendent Cornelio R. Salinas, 44 other commanders took turn in holding the reign of the provincial command.
At the hindsight it was Lieutenant Colonel Job T. Mayo who stayed as the longest provincial commander that lasted for more than three years (September 25, 1950 – May 4, 1954) and Lieutenant Colonel Gochangco as the shortest for only 21 days (May 25-June 15, 1954).
With its long journey, the Iloilo Provincial Police Command commanded laudable accomplishments with its relentless campaign against all forms of criminalities thus attaining peace and order in the community.